Abounding in Love’s Mission
Abounding in Love’s primary mission is to facilitate cleft lip and cleft palate repairs in the Philippines, and to provide other support for Filipinos with cleft.
Other wonderful organizations provide the actual surgeries for free, but many Filipinos still cannot afford to receive them due to other expenses. We bridge that gap by providing transportation, lodging, nutritional assistance, medical checkups, and other prerequisites so that children can get the surgeries. Then we follow up by helping with other expenses.
What Problems Are We Trying to Solve?
The main problems are as follows:
- Filipinos in outlying areas, or of very low income, struggle to avail themselves of even free cleft lip and cleft palate surgeries, because they are often unable to afford the costs of missing work and providing for their own lodging and transportation.
- The admittance rate for surgery is low, especially for very low income Filipinos. This can be due to malnutrition (often caused by parasites) or other health conditions. This makes going to a free surgery a significant financial gamble.
- The non-profits that provide the free surgeries are understandably very focused on the surgeries themselves, and have few resources available to assist the beneficiaries before and after surgery.
What Are we Trying to Accomplish?
- We want to make sure all Filipinos can get free cleft lip and/or cleft palate surgery, regardless of their income and proximity to the nearest hospital.
- We want to make sure that getting a free surgery is not a financial gamble for a poor Filipino family.
- We want to greatly expand the support available for Filipino children before and after cleft lip and/or palate surgery.
How, Specifically, Do We Try to Solve These Problems?
- We start by finding children with cleft lip and/or palate. This is done by seeking permission from the local authorities, then posting information at the barangay (local municipality) halls, at the RHU’s (Rural Health Units), and with local clinics.
- When we learn about a child with cleft, we enroll them in our program, and perform a home visit to assess the extent of their needs.
- We begin assisting the family with nutritional support and/or direct aid.
- As soon as possible, we get the beneficiary in for an initial health assessment with a local doctor. This allows us to identify any health issues that need to be addressed before the surgical mission.
Overwhelmingly, we are able to correct any health issues within our own budget, but once in a while we find a serious issue (such as an undiagnosed congenital defect) that needs to be referred to another organization.
- Any child who is enrolled in our program, who is medically eligible for surgery, will receive cleft lip and/or cleft palate surgery free of charge from one of our wonderful surgical partners.
- When the surgical mission occurs, we provide beneficiaries with transportation, lodging, food, and other support.
- After the surgery, we continue to assess needs and provide support, which may include nutritional support or assistance with education costs. We also host Christmas parties for our beneficiaries, as a fun and face-saving way to distribute aid.
If I donate, what will you do with the money?
We will use 100% of your donation help Filipino children and their families. We have no paid staff in the USA, and our minimal administrative expenses are being paid for by our largest donor, Serviscreen.
We are a 501(c)(3) public charity, and all donations are tax deductible.
We protect the privacy of our donors. Abounding in Love does not sell, share, or otherwise distribute our donor information to other entities for fundraising, nor do we fund raise on behalf of other entities.